CDT works to promote democratic values by shaping technology policy and architecture, with a focus on the rights of the individual. We will:
1. Champion policies, laws, and technical designs that empower people to use technology for good while protecting against invasive, discriminatory, and exploitative uses.
2. Insist online platforms be transparent, accountable, and respect human rights. Regulation should set limits on the collection and use of personal information and give people greater control.
3. Curtail government censorship and enable all people to access and share information of their choosing without harassment or undue interference.
4. Free people from unwarranted surveillance. Government surveillance should have strict, independent oversight and checks against bias.
5. Reflect and support the global nature of the internet in our work.